Important Safety Notice
Important Safety Notice: Voluntary Replacement Program for UK (Type G) detachable power plugs for certain Medela breast pumps
- Detachable power plug (circled) and power supply base (left)
Broken detachable power plug (right)
Detailed description of the Voluntary Replacement Program
Medela takes the safety of its valued customers very seriously. The wellbeing of mothers and children is our highest priority.
For that reason and as a precautionary measure, Medela is launching a voluntary replacement program for UK (type G) detachable power plugs. The detachable plug connects to a power supply base which is included in a breast pump system. Since June 2012, Medela has marketed both breast pump systems and replacement power supplies (with enclosed plug adapters). The Medela breast pumps with affected detachable power plugs are Swing Maxi, Swing and Freestyle. Potentially affected detachable power plugs were sold – depending on the respective country – under the article numbers listed below.
This voluntary replacement program only applies to detachable power plugs for UK sockets. Other products or power supply adapters for other sockets are not affected by this voluntary replacement program. In particular, please note that the Medela breast pumps themselves, Swing Maxi, Swing and Freestyle are not affected.
This replacement program is in response to few isolated reports in which a detachable power plug allegedly broke apart and the respective user experienced an electric shock. If users apply a certain level of force while removing affected detachable power plugs from UK sockets, the detachable power plugs might break apart, potentially exposing live parts.
As a precautionary measure, Medela asks customers to comply with the following:
- While removing an affected power supply adapter for UK sockets, please remove the plug slowly and deliberately, apply as little force as possible, and handle the whole adapter with utmost attention and caution. If you apply a certain level of force, an affected detachable power plug might break apart.
- If the detachable power plug breaks, turn off the power source before removing it from the wall. Remove the detachable power plug from the power socket and do not use it before a replacement is sent to you.
- You may use the breast pumps Swing and Swing Maxi with batteries instead of the affected power supply adapter.
- If you have an affected detachable power plug for UK sockets, please contact Medela immediately. You will receive a free-of-charge replacement as soon as possible. In doing so, please use the registration form.
Product numbers Swing maxi
200.4726, 040.0005, 040.0007, 040.0010, 040.0014, 040.0015, 040.0016, 040.0019, 040.0024
Product numbers Freestyle
042.0009, 042.0011, 042.0013, 042.0013 01, 042.0015, 099.0272, 099.0274
Product numbers Swing
200.4730, 030.0030, 030.0032, 030.0035, 030.0039, 030.0039 01, 030.0043, 030.0044, 030.0048, 030.0052, 030.0056, 030.0057, 099.0017