Supplemental Nursing System (SNS)
Système de nutrition supplémentaire (SNS)
The Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is a nursing device specifically designed to help mothers and parents to breastfeed / chestfeed by supplying milk to the baby while they are being fed at the breast / chest.
The Supplemental Nursing System: supporting bonding
- Facilitates bonding and skin-to-skin contact.
- Promotes milk supply by stimulating the breast through sustained sucking.
- Supports non-lactating, adoptive, surrogate, same-sex, transgender, and non-binary parents to create a breastfeeding / chestfeeding experience.
- Supports the baby’s oral development of sucking skills to create vacuum.
- Provides milk supplementation without the use of bottles and teats
The Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is a lactation aid that consists of a container filled with supplementary milk that is clipped securely to a bra strap, shirt or pillow. While the baby is latched at the breast / chest, a thin, flexible tube is placed alongside the nipple into the baby's mouth and a controlled and consistent flow of milk is released as they feed.
- 1x TwistLok® Lid
- 1 150ml Container & Lid
- (1) 1 Clamp
- (1) TwistLok® Tube
- (1) Clip
- (1) Ring
- (1) Cleaning Aid
- (1) Instructions for use
- Unit Dimensions: 131 x 117 x 63 mm
- Unit Weight: 0.1 kg
- Case Dimensions: 130 x 271 x 195 mm
- Case Weight: .73 kg
- Warranty: 90 days. Please contact Medela Customer Service for warranty replacement.
1. Who is the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) for?
Medela’s Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) can be used by mothers and parents who wish to supplement milk at the breast / chest, and support non-lactating mothers and parents including adoptive, surrogate, same sex, transgender and non-binary parents to create a breastfeeding / chestfeeding experience. It can also be used for infants who cannot maintain vacuum long enough.
2. How do I clean the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS), especially the tube?
The Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) can be easily cleaned at home. Before first use and after each use, clean all the components in plenty of warm soapy water, then rinse with clean water and dry with a clean cloth or leave to dry on a clean cloth. Use the specialty Cleaning Aid to effectively and easily clean the tube by flushing it with warm, soapy water (3 times), then clean water (3 times), and finally with air until its visibly dry. Then, further clean the Container, TwistLok Lid, Valve and Lid components before first use and once daily in boiling water for 5 minutes, in a dishwasher or in the microwave using Medela's Quick Clean bags.
For a full set of detailed cleaning instructions please read our Instructions for Use, as well as the SNS How To Video and SNS QuickCard.
3. How do I use the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS)?
The Medela Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is specifically designed to be easy to use. After the SNS is cleaned, assembled (with the flow stop engaged) and filled with the required amount of milk, clip the device securely to a bra strap, top or pillow. Position the baby at the breast / chest. Once a good latch is established, gently insert the thin, flexible tube 1.5-2cm into the top corner of the baby's mouth alongside the nipple. Open the flow clamp to let the milk flow. With the help of gravity and the advanced venting system, a controlled and consistent flow of milk is released to the baby as they feed.
For further information on how to use the SNS, please read our Instructions for Use, as well as the SNS How To Video and SNS QuickCard.
4. How long can I use the Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) for?
Medela’s Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is a reusable device which is suitable for both repeated daily use for a duration of 3 months. Consult your Healthcare Professional for further information on how long to supplement for and when to transition or we an off using the SNS.
Niefert, M. & Seacat, J. Practical aspects of breast feeding the premature infant. Perin Neonatol 12, 24-30 (1988).