Calma Feeding Solution
Calma is an innovative feeding solution designed for breastfed babies. It does not interfere with breastfeeding and lets your baby feed the way they learned at the breast, which makes switching from breast to Calma and back easy.
Calma – close to breastfeeding
Medela's Calma is designed exclusively as an alternative to breastfeeding for moms wishing to feed their babies with breast milk. It is ideal for moms wanting to share feedings with a partner. Calma was developed in cooperation with breastfeeding experts from the Hartmann Human Lactation Research Group at the University of Western Australia.
Calma allows your baby to suck, swallow and breathe just as they learned to at the breast:
- Baby is in control: your baby can drink, pause and breathe in a natural rhythm, remaining calm and settled, just like on the breast
- Natural feeding behaviour: your baby needs to create a vacuum to start the milk flow, just like they do while breastfeeding. The vacuum and mouth positioning with Calma engage the same orofacial muscles as when breastfeeding.
- Preventing nipple confusion: babies maintain their natural sucking behaviour, allowing an easy transition from breast to Calma and back to breast again.
Benefits of using Calma
Calma’s flow, shape and length are designed to suit your baby's needs as your baby grows.
Supports orofacial development by engaging same facial muscles when feeding at the breast
Unlike conventional nipples, baby does not learn a different, unnatural, feeding technique with minimal control over the feeding session.
Calma teats help the baby to avoid swallowing air during the feed, as they are regulated by a unique venting system.
Made in Switzerland, from BPA-free materials.
- Allows natural switching between breast and bottle
- One size and shape fits all
- Safe drinking – the baby does not swallow air during the feed
- BPA free and Swiss made – safe for you and your baby