With Calma, the milk only flows when the baby applies vacuum to the nipple to remove the breast milk from the bottle. The milk flow is dependent on the vacuum created by the baby. This enables the feeding behavior learned at the breast to be used with Calma at times when mom is away from baby or not able to nurse.
For information on the World Health Organization’s recommendation on breastfeeding duration visit www.medela.com/who
Benefits of using Calma
Calma was developed using evidence-based research on babies' natural sucking pattern and feeding behavior. The flow control valve allows your baby’s natural suction to control the volume and speed that milk flows through the nipple. This enables the feeding behavior learned at the breast to be used with Calma at times when you’re away from baby or not able to nurse.
- Vented nipple: Helps avoid gassiness as the bottle is vented through our unique air-control system
- Flow control valve: Allows baby to control milk flow. Milk only flows when baby creates a vacuum
- The Calma nipple doesn't drip: Calma can be turned upside down and and milk will not drip from the nipple.
- One size/shape nipple: For all stages of breast milk feeding. The flow, shape and length of Calma are designed to suit your baby's needs as they grow
- Compatible with all Medela breast milk collection bottles
- Mimics baby’s natural sucking pattern and feeding behavior: Research has shown that with Calma, your baby is able to maintain the learned feeding behavior exhibited when breastfeeding. Breastfeeding should be well established before introducing the Calma nipple.
- Made without BPA: All parts that come into contact with breast milk are not made with BPA